I decided I best figure out how the pattern worked before I went and attempted any major changes (i.e. moving down to Koigu KPPPM gauge yarn), so I made a mitten out of Malabrigo Worsted Yarn in the colorway Forest:
- Cuff: Casted on 40 stitches with size 5 needles( which I thought were size 4 needles since they were labeled as such...and where are my size 3 needles? Who knows? Probably Mamoko cat!), joined in the round, switched to size 2 needles and worked k2, P2 for 1 3/4 inches.
- Hand: Knit on size 5 needles, still using only 40 stitches.
- Cuff, again: After finishing up the mitten, I decided that the cuff was not small enough on the wrist so I picked up the cuff stitches and decreased it by 6 stitches on the palm side (less visible, hopefully, for real-world wear). Knit those 36 stitches in pattern for another quarter of an inch. For the next mitten, I shall just cast on 36 stitches and knit in pattern for 2 inches and then increase on the stockinette. The left mitten won't be a perfect match for the right, but I am not all about perfection when it comes to my knitting. If I wanted perfection I would buy machine-made mittens. It's all about process, folks, process and enjoyment for me. Plus, I'd like to get some use out of these mittens before this winter ends and in California, that could be tomorrow or sometime in April the way our weird weather has been acting! Oh, and perhaps I'll make a matching Malabrigo hat of some sort to match! (Holly of HollYarns)